Behaviours That Affect Optimal Health
With the recent wave of “self-love” advocates, it is staggering to hear of so many people not practicing self-love when it comes to their health. Having optimal health enables us to live a life with fewer worries than usual. Of course, we do not have one-hundred percent control over our health, but certain behaviours affect optimal health and help to support a long and healthy life.
The word “exercise” is not new to any human walking the earth, yet most of us take it lightly and procrastinate when it comes to regular exercise or, “hitting the gym”. It is more fun to sit around and watch Netflix with a bag of chips than it is to go out for a walk with friends, or to a gym for a workout. The key is to remember that the cheapest and most effective way to keep our bodies and minds in the healthiest state ever is through physical activity.
By exercising, we train our bodies to become used to movements, and eventually look forward to them.
Exercise can also help to:
- Strengthen and boost memory and overall brain health.
- Fight diabetes and heart disease, as a sedentary lifestyle is a common risk factor for both the long-term illnesses.
- Regulate blood pressure, lowers down glucose decreases the chances of getting heart attacks or stroke.
- Reduce the negative effects of depression, anxiety, and various other mental health issues
We usually ignore the fact that a proper sleep pattern also affects health in ways we never imagined. It is vital to get a sufficient amount of sleep every day. We cannot make up for, “lost” sleep hours by sleeping more hours the next day, or week. With the proper amount of sleep hours that are required, our body, as well as our mind, functions much better compared to when our body is sleep-deficient. It reduces stress hormones and makes us feel joyful and alert instead of being somber and anxious.
When we allow ourselves sufficient sleep time, our body begins working hard to repair itself from the damaging effects of our stressful environments, ultraviolet rays, and various other harmful exposures. Sleep also improves our immune system and cardiovascular health.
Our diet determines our overall health performance. As the saying goes,” You are what you eat”. This applies perfectly to the fact that our physical and mental health is directly dependant on what we eat and put in our bodies.
Let’s have a look at the benefits of a healthy diet:
- A complete, balanced diet that includes a variety of vegetables, fruits, grains, lentils, good fats, and proteins can reduce weight for overweight or obese people.
- A diet low in salt and fat reduces your chances of developing heart disease leading to a heart attack and/or stroke.
- A healthy diet can also lower the risk of cancer and various other heart diseases.
- A whole diet can also promote improved hair, nail, and skin health.
A healthy body also requires adequate supplementation. Many types of supplements are necessary for better health. Many healthcare professionals and nutritionists, however, advise people to follow a strict and healthy diet as it is the sole factor that can improve our health. Choosing supplements should be a wise and well-informed decision and not a reckless one. The supplements that health experts use are the following:
- Fish oil: Rich in omega-3 fats that can usually be found in various fish. Our bodies cannot synthesize it, and hence we have to consume it through our diet or with the help of widely available fish oil supplements.
- Vitamin D supplements: Consumption of Vit-D supplements can ensure healthy bones, teeth, and also decrease the chances of developing heart diseases.
- Protein supplements: They can help build muscles, provide with immense strength for vigorous activities as well as boost metabolism.
Consistently being under the negative influence of stress or anxiety can take a toll on our overall health, which includes our physical and mental health. We may experience headaches, an upset stomach, nausea, fluctuation in blood pressure, and chest pain. We don’t think of the fact that our mental health can also affect our physical health, simultaneously ignoring our psychological issues to an extent where we fall ill.
Almost everyone suffers from different levels of stress and anxiety, which can sometimes exist even in the absence of apparent cause. We should try to take a break from something that might be getting under our skin and try relaxation techniques. A vacation can also help calm nerves.
Remember that a healthy mind is essential for a healthy body. Being in a heightened mood has actually demonstrated its power to boost the immune system, increases productivity at work, and protect from illness.
When we are born, we make many beautiful relationships with people around us who love and care about us. These positive relationships can contribute to a healthy mind as well as a healthy body. Research has proven that people with healthy familial, friendly, and romantic relationships performed better in many aspects of their lives, compared to the people who don’t have healthy relationships and are isolated from others.
- Positive relationships help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Having someone who cares about us and nurses us when you are sick can help you heal faster and better than other people.
- Healthy social relationships are a protective factor in times of depression and help decrease suicide tendencies.
If you find that you are surrounded by toxic relationships, or simply just those that do not serve you in positive ways, consider re-evaluating how much time you spend with those people.
LEVELS OF RELAXATION:
Everyone must deal with daily stress in one way or another throughout life. As such, relaxation techniques should be promoted among people of all ages.
- Focusing on breath and controlling its rhythm can help calm our nerves.
- A small amount of exercise and muscle relaxation techniques also boost mental and physical health.
- Meditation and yoga help in making our minds drift away from our worrisome lives in extraordinary ways.
Health is indeed a very precious gift, and it is important to treat ourselves in the healthiest of ways. Our bodies are absolutely incredible, and by following these health tips, you are well on your way to health and happiness. If you have tried any of our tips, tell us about it on Instagram and Facebook. Be sure to tag @reflexsupplements and use the hashtag #ReflexNation.