Healthy Fall Recipes
Fall is in the air and we all know what that means; beautiful tree hues of orange and red, cozy sweaters, the feel of fresh air on your cheeks and of course, pumpkin everything. Cooking and baking become more enjoyable in the fall, thanks to the bounty it brings. Ahh, we can smell the apple cider and cinnamon now. Every meal of the day can be Fall-inspired with our help.
Who doesn’t love a pumpkin spice muffin for breakfast? There’s no way to deny that there can be a lot of sugar and oil in the selections at your local coffee shop. Let’s make the switch to a healthier homemade version that is loaded with nutrients, will keep you satisfied, and it’s easier on the pocketbook. We’ve rounded up a few options for you.
This recipe from mbg food uses gluten-free flour, coconut oil and pumpkin seeds.
This COOKIE + kate version uses almond milk and old-fashioned oats and can be topped with nut butter to be more filling.
Hello spoonful offers a recipe with Greek yogurt and protein powder for an extra boost. We recommend swapping the chocolate chips for brain-powering walnuts.
For all of these recipes, you can swap oil for applesauce, add nuts, and experiment with using less sugar than the recipe calls for if you’re already sweet enough.
Other Fall breakfast options include:
- Adding apples and cinnamon to your morning bowl of steel-cut oats or chia pudding
- Making an omelette with roasted squash, spinach, and goat cheese in the middle
- Sweet potato and egg skillet
- Pancakes made with pumpkin puree and protein powder
- Yogurt topped with pumpkin pie spiced granola
A mid-day meal should be:
- Delicious and satisfying
- Easy to transport, especially if you’re on the go or at the office
- Light enough that you don’t need a nap after
This Fall the best way to hit all 3 is with a belly-warming pumpkin soup, made with bone broth for extra nutrients and a selection of salads. This red lentil soup is easy to prepare and will have dinner on the table in 30-minutes. The addition of lemon is fresh and delicious.
This sweet potato salad with cranberries is sure to leave you satisfied.
Other salad ideas include:
- Beets, arugula and goat cheese with a balsamic vinaigrette
- Farro with pecans, parmesan, green apple and arugula
- Warm lentil salad with chunks of steamed carrots, celery and sauteed onion
- Shredded Brussels sprouts with slivered almonds and maple dijon dressing
Pair any of these salad options with an added protein such as hard-boiled eggs, a can of tuna, or slices of chicken breast.
Dinner-time is all about warm stews, chilli, and roasted root vegetables. These dishes can easily be prepared ahead of time so all you have to do is warm it up when you get home from work.
CHEW out loud… has all the ingredients in their Fall chilli recipe – pumpkin, ground turkey, black beans. So satisfying. If you’re craving a more traditional chilli recipe, check out this one from the spruce Eats. Their crockpot Autumn beef stew also has us drooling.
Other dinner ideas include:
- Lentil bolognese served over pasta or mashed potatoes
- Classic shepherd’s pie never goes out of style
- Halved acorn squash baked with cooked ground turkey, pecans, apple and spinach
- White bean stew loaded with greens
- Cabbage rolls
Fall snack ideas on the go include:
- Roasted pumpkin seeds with salt and cumin
- Baked apples with raisins, walnuts
- Warm fall drink or smoothie, BRIT + CO has all the warm smoothies
These recipes are hearty, cozy, and delicious. Is your mouth watering yet? Ours sure is! See you at the farmers market.